A native of Fayetteville, Leflar earned his bachelor's, J.D., and master's in public health from Harvard University.
- "Iryo jiko chosa to hoteki sekinin: Beikoku to Nihon no hikaku no shiten kara [Medical Accident Review and Legal Liability: A U.S.-Japan Comparative Perspective]," in IRYO ANZEN KOTO HAJIME [FOUNDATIONS OF HEALTH CARE SAFETY] 257-281 (Nakajima & Kodama eds. 2010).
- "Medical Error, Deception, Self-Critical Analysis, and Law's Impact: A Comparative Examination," in LAW IN JAPAN: A TURNING POINT 404-432 (Daniel H. Foote ed., 2008).
- "Law and Health Care in Japan: The Renaissance of Informed Consent," in TIMOTHY S. JOST, READINGS IN COMPARATIVE HEALTH LAW AND BIOETHICS 154-160 (2d ed. 2007).
Law Review & Peer Reviewed Articles
- Medical Malpractice Reform Measures and Their Effects, 144 CHEST 306-318 (2013).
- "Reform of the United States Health Care System: An Overview," 10 U. TOKYO J. LAW & POLITICS 44-59 (2013), reprinted in 2013 ARK. LAW NOTES 1171, available at http://media.law.uark.edu/arklawnotes/2013/07/12/reform-of-the-united-states-health-care-system-an-overview-2/
- "Human Flotsam, Legal Fallout: Japan's Tsunami and Nuclear Meltdown," 27 J. Environmental Law & Litigation 107-124 (2012) (with A. Hirata, M. Murayama & S. Ota).
- "The Law of Medical Misadventure in Japan," 87 Chicago-Kent L. Rev. 79-110 (2012).
- "Public and Private Justice: Redressing Health Care Harm in Japan," 4 Drexel L. Rev. 243-264 (2011).
- "'Unnatural Deaths,' Criminal Sanctions, and Medical Quality Improvement in Japan," 9 Yale J. Health Policy, Law & Ethics 1-51 (2009)
- "The Regulation of Medical Malpractice in Japan," 467 Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 443-449 (2009)
- "The Civil Justice Reform Act and the Empty Chair," 2003 Ark. Law Notes 67-77.
- "The Preemption Pentad: Federal Preemption of Products Liability Claims After Medtronic" [v. Lohr], 64 Tenn. L. Rev. 691-748 (1997) (with Robert S. Adler).
- "Informed Consent and Patients' Rights in Japan," 33 Houston L. Rev. 1-112 (1996).
- "Public Accountability and Medical Device Regulation,"" 2 Harvard J. L. & Technology 1-84 (1989).
Noteworthy Presentations, 2010-2013
- "Obamacare and Arkansas," 1st United Presbyterian Church, Fayetteville, Oct. 9, 2013
- "Medical Error in Japan: A Subsurface Tangle of Law and Politics," Temple U. Japan, Tokyo, July 12, 2013
- "Medical Injury Compensation Reform: Japan, Taiwan, the United States," Health Law Professors Conference, Seton Hall Law School, Newark NJ, June 8, 2013
- "Medical Malpractice Reform: Perspectives from Japan, Taiwan, and the United States," Law & Society Assn annual conference, Boston, June 1, 2013
- "Medical Quality Improvement and the Law," Nagoya U. Faculty of Medicine Young Leaders Program, April 26, 2013
- "Iryiko ni kansuru dai-san-sha kikan no arikata: Gaikoku no kenkysha kara mite "[Impartial Entities for Review of Medical Accidents: A Foreign Researcher=s Perspective], 45th University of Tokyo Symposium on Comparative Law and Politics, Tokyo, April 20, 2013 (in Japanese)
- "Discerning Why Patients Die: Legal and Political Controversies in Japan, the United States, and Taiwan," 3rd East Asian Law & Society Conference, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, March 23, 2013
- "Research on Human Tissues: Ethical, Legal, and Regulatory Issues," Keio Law School Symposium on Regenerative Medicine, Tokyo, Feb. 15, 2013 (keynote lecture)
- "Medical Injury and the Law: International Comparisons," National Kaohsiung University College of Law, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Dec. 27, 2012 (keynote lecture at Forum on Medical Injury and the Law)
- "Medical Liability and Compensation Mechanisms in the U.S. and Japan," Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 26, 2012
- "Patients, Privacy, Progress, and Problems: Medical Records in the Computer Age," National Chiaotung U., Hsinchu, Taiwan, Nov. 17, 2012
- "Social Constraints on Health Law Developments: Illustrations from the U.S. and Japan," Tunghai U. Intl Conference on Medical Law and Social Change, Taichung, Taiwan, Nov. 16, 2012 (keynote address)
- "Reform of the American Health Care System (Part IV): The Supreme Court Decision and the Presidential Election," Univ. of Tokyo Faculty of Law, Medicine & Law Research Group, Nov. 6, 2012
- "Reform of the American Health Care System," Tokyo Fulbright Association, Tokyo, Oct. 10, 2012
- "Provider-Protective American Med Mal Rules: Comparing the U.S., Japan, and France," Health Law Professors Conference, Arizona St. U. School of Law, Tempe AZ, June 8, 2012.
- "Medical Misadventure Law: Japan, Comparatively," St. Louis U. School of Law, Feb. 29, 2012.
- "Legal and Institutional Responses to Manmade Public Health Disasters: Medical and Nuclear Accidents Compared," East Asian Law & Society Conference, Seoul, Korea, Oct. 1, 2011.
- "Reform of the American Health Care System (Part III)," Univ. of Tokyo Faculty of Law, Medicine & Law Research Group, July 19, 2011.
- "Error, Crime, Tort, Apology: Medical Malpractice Disputes in Japan," Conference on Medical Malpractice and Compensation in Global Perspective, Vienna, Austria, Dec. 3, 2010.
- "Medical Device Product Liability Litigation in the United States," Univ. of Tokyo Policy Alternatives Research Institute, July 22, 2010.
- "Health Care Reform in the United States: Medical Malpractice Proposals," National Taiwan University College of Law, Taipei, July 6, 2010.
- "'Unnatural Deaths' Inquest System, the 'Model Project,' and the Proposed National Peer Review System in Japan," National Taiwan University Medical Faculty, Dept. of Forensic Medicine, Taipei, July 7, 2010.
- "Ramseyer on Quality (and Litigation) in Japanese Health Care," Cohen Conference on Chinese History and Japanese Law, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass., June 18, 2010.
- "Reform of the American Health Care System," Arkansas Bar Association, Hot Springs, June 12, 2009
- "The Story of Akika's Heart: System Error and Institutional Response through Exemplary Narrative," Health Law Professors Conference, Cleveland OH, June 6, 2009
- "Law and Patient Safety in the United States and Japan," Univ. of Arkansas School of Law Visiting Committee, March 6, 2009
In the News
- Health Reform: Arkansas Impacts Northwest Arkansas Times March 01, 2010